Herman Miller Ergonomic Chair
Need to know what to look for in an ergonomic chair? The article below give great insight as to what features to look for in a chair. The best advice in the article is to go to a store where office chairs are sold and try them out. You can visit Office Furniture Outlet’s showroom to take a test-sit in the multiple used office chairs we have in stock. Office ergonomics is important to productivity and general health. One of our trained staff members can help you find the right chair for you. Call Office Furniture Outlet Today at (757) 855-2800.
Prevent Work-related Back Pain with Good Posture and an Ergonomic Office Chair
by KLAUS on JANUARY 26, 2012
It is very important to consider some factors that are vital when setting up office furniture, such as the careful planning and selection of which office equipment must be acquired in order to promote not only a high productivity rate from the employees, but also to promote an atmosphere of comfort while they are working.
Back pain is perhaps one of the most commonly known work-related injuries. It is normally often caused by regular work activities such as sitting in an office chair. People who tend to sit most of the day, especially those who use a computer at work while sitting in an office chair, are most susceptible to back pain.
Office ergonomics can help reduce the risk of repetitive injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome as well as the risks caused by prolonged sitting in an office chair such as leg pain, neck strain and lower back pain.
There are two simple ways on how to avoid work-related back pain – good posture and an ergonomic office chair. Good posture is very important especially when you tend to sit for hours when working. However, even if you know how to execute good posture while sitting, it won’t help much if your office chair is not comfortable or ergonomic. To find that perfect ergonomic chair, you have to know the many characteristics of the ergonomic chair and how it can support your needs.
Below are some tips on how to choose an ergonomic office chair:
1. Get to know the different features of an ergonomic chair.
Height – the height of an ergonomic chair must be adjustable so that you can sit comfortably with your feet flat on the floor, with knees angled at about 90 degrees and parallel to your hips.
Backrest – the backrest of an ergonomic chair must support the natural curve of your spine which in turn provides lower back support. The height must be ample enough to support your neck and shoulder region. There are some ergonomic chairs that have a recline function in their back rest to let you recline while sitting.
Armrest – the armrests support your arms so that your shoulders can rest at a comfortable position while you are working. Armrests must be adjustable in height and position for the convenience of different users and activities.
Seat – the seat of an ergonomic chair must provide comfortable support to the hips and buttocks. The seat depth must measure from your back to 2 to 4 inches from the back of your knees.
2. Think about what you will do most while sitting in your ergonomic chair. Some people spend most of their work hours talking on the phone, while there are those who type on their computers the whole day. Create a list of your needs and then compare the characteristics of ergonomic chairs to help you select the right ergonomic office chair for you.
3. Go to stores that sell ergonomic chairs and try them out. When you have selected the characteristics and functions of the ergonomic chair that you would like to have, go visit a store with ergonomic chairs and try them out so that you can assess support, positioning and comfort.
4. Choose the color, materials and style of your ergonomic chair. Many ergonomic chairs nowadays come in different materials and styles, such as fabric, leather or mesh back chairs. Some models even come in different colors to suit your mood or the theme of your office room.
5. Compare prices of ergonomic chairs. Last but not least, browse at online stores, office furniture stores and wholesale stores to compare prices of their ergonomic chairs with the features you are searching for. Do not forget to consider the cost of shipping should you decide to order an ergonomic chair online.
No matter what kind of ergonomic office chair you use, it is vital that short breaks must be taken throughout the day in order to improve circulation in your body. Getting up from your chair every hour or two will definitely promote stronger posture, relieve strain on your eyes and absolutely reduce work fatigue.
via Prevent Work-related Back Pain with Good Posture and an Ergonomic Office Chair — TechPatio.